COVID-19 - We are open for business and here to help ->
OFFICE HOURS : 9.00am - 5.00pm, Monday to Friday (closed between 1 and 2)

Alcohol Licensing

  • The Law Society of Scotland

The licensing solicitors at Claphams can provide specialist advice on a comprehensive range of alcohol licensing matters. We have a wide-ranging client base from across the hospitality and retail industries – whether you operate a pub, restaurant, nightclub or shop, or if you are looking for advice on applying for a one-off license, speak to one of our solicitors. Call us today on 0141 620 0800 or fill out our online enquiry form and a member of our team will be in touch.

Our Expertise

With their experience, expertise and skill our team of licensing solicitors can advise you on the right licence for your needs, providing you with clear, concise and practical advice.

Premises Licenses

Our licensing lawyers provide an end-to-end service when it comes to obtaining a new Premises License. We can advise on the options available and the license that would best suit your requirements. You may wish to apply for a full Premises License allowing you to sell alcohol immediately once this has been granted, or a Provisional Premises License, which must be confirmed before you begin trading, may be more appropriate.

We can support you to take all necessary steps before making your application, including finalising a licensing compliant Layout Plan and agreeing a draft Operating Plan. We can then apply to the Local Authority on your behalf for the necessary certificates.

After your application has been lodged, we can offer guidance on the likely timescale based on the location of your premises and provide updates on any developments or issues that arise. Should any objections be raised, our skilled solicitors are on hand to make representations on your behalf to the Licensing Board if required.

Acquisition and Sales of Licensed Premises

If you are looking to acquire, sell or lease a licensed premises, Claphams can provide all the support you need. Working closely alongside their colleagues in our commercial property department, our licensing solicitors can offer specialist advice on all of the licensing elements relating to the transaction. Whether you are planning to transfer or vary a license, or are intending to make a new application, we will work tirelessly on your behalf to ensure that your license is protected or obtained as quickly and seamlessly as possible.

Variations of Existing Premises Licenses

Any changes within your Premises License will require a variation application to be lodged with your local Licensing Board. Variations can take two forms: Minor Variations (such as an amendment to your Layout Plan or a change to the name of your premises) or Non-Minor Variations (such as a change of activities detailed on your Operating Plan or increase in capacity). Whatever your proposed changes, our licensing specialists are on hand to discuss these in detail, to provide guidance on your options and advice on what type of variation application will be required.

Occasional Licenses

If you intend to hold an event where alcohol will be sold, such as a community event, a music festival or a wedding, you may need to apply for an occasional license. Alternatively, you may need a license for a short period while you wait for a full Premises License to be approved. Whatever your circumstances, our lawyers can provide clear, straightforward advice to help you negotiate the application process as simply and quickly as possible.

Expert Alcohol Licensing Solicitors Clarkston, Newton Mearns, Giffnock, Netherlee, Eaglesham, Carmunnock, Stewarton & Southside Glasgow

If you have any queries related to alcohol licensing or to discuss your specific circumstances do not hesitate to contact us on 0141 620 0800, or fill out our online enquiry form and a member of our team will be in touch.

Make an enquiry
If you are an existing client, please click here to email us
(your query will not be answered by our new client advice team if you are already a client of the firm)
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input

I need help with

Invalid Input
Invalid Input

Please note we are a firm of Scottish Solicitors helping clients across Scotland and cannot help you if you are based in England.